Monday, October 15, 2007

Show Review - Life Is Wild

So far, I've seen two episodes of Life Is Wild, a new show which debuted on the CW network in the States last Sunday. I found the show good and bad on several levels. I had high expectations but maybe I shouldn't have. It really wasn't that good.

The show is about a New York blended family who move to South Africa so the dad can start a vetrinary practice there. This is actually an American version of the British drama Wild At Heart, which, from what I can gather of the small amount of clips I've seen of it, is much better in quality then Life Is Wild. I just wish Wild At Heart would air on BBC Canada so I can watch that instead...

I loved the South African setting, and love the fact that the show is trying to explore issues unique to South Africa. I also loved a few of the storylines BUT there are a few major annoyances which I can't ignore. The biggest one is the lead actress in the show, Leah Pipes, who I find completely and utterly wrong for the role she's portraying--that of 16-year-old teenager Katie Clarke. I find Pipes extremely annoying and though I like enough about the show itself, with Katie as the main character, it is incredibly hard to ignore her. Now normally I don't like to criticize an actor so harshly, but sheesh, the girl needs to quiet down in her acting. She speaks too loudly and emphasizes her words too much. Perhaps it's only a result of nervousness or the awkwardness that occurs in the first few episodes of a new series, but I really am finding it hard to enjoy it with her in it.

Another thing that annoys me is something that I guess comes as a result of not being American. The American characters in the show come across as ethnocentric and naieve to other cultures. They unabashedly insult South African people by insulting their culture, without realizing they are doing so. They appear so uneducated about the outside world that it amazes me. I don't think that was the intention of the writers at all but I can clearly see it with non-American eyes. The stupidity of some of the characters frustrates me. The teenage boy goes skateboarding in the bush while there's an injured lioness on the the loose nearby. Another character takes a lion cub for a walk. Katie accepts a ride from complete strangers at a gas station. Watching some of the actions of these characters makes me want to bang my head against the wall. Yet I will stay watching. As I said earlier, the unique setting and storylines are enough for me to keep watching--for now.

No comments: