Wednesday, October 17, 2007

Burnt soup & my thoughts on Cane

Yesterday I tuned in happily to see Cane, a show that's quickly becoming a fave of mine this year. I typically gravitate to shows with storylines involving family dynamics and what I really like about Cane is that three generations of the main family on the show--the Ducque family, to be specific--all have major storylines, giving the show a multigenerational appeal. The family dynamic angle is not enough for me to watch a series though, as my detest for Brothers and Sisters and 7th Heaven will prove. A series needs riveting ongoing stories, appealing and well-developed characters and worthwhile settings to make me like it and Cane has all that in full force.

The show revolves (as previously mentioned) around the Cuban-American Ducque family who own a rum and sugar-cane empire near Miami, Florida. The head of the family is Pancho Ducque. His wife is Amalia. They have three natural children named Francisco, Isabel and Henry. Pancho also has an honorary son, Alex Vega, who was taken in by the family as a boy. Alex is married to Isabel and they have three children together named Jaime, Katie and Artie.
The show has an excellent cast playing all these complex characters but because I don't feel like clicking back and forth to read the names on the imdb website to name them here, you can go there yourself.

The show's name comes from the sugar-cane empire that the Ducques own, and is also perhaps a reference to the Cane/Abel story from the Bible in which one brother hates the brother that he thinks his parents love more. In the show's case, middle brother Frank (short for Francisco) is resentful of his father Pancho's decision to make oldest brother Alex the new CEO of the family company, despite the fact that Frank is the natural-born son (Alex is honorarily adopted). Frank is also secretly having an affair with Ellis Samuels, the daughter of the rival enemy sugar-cane family, and she's manipulating him into giving up precious Ducque secrets. The Samuels cause a fair amount of problems for the Ducques, so much so that Alex is forced to hire a hitman to get rid of a man they sent after him. I won't get into the plot because it might give alot away but I urge you to check it out. The show needs better ratings desperately as it's not doing so well in the States. It seems every year the shows I like most get cancelled early. I'm hoping this won't be the case with Cane.

I like Cane so much, that yesterday when I was watching it on my TV, I was so into it that I forgot all about the tomato macaroni soup I had cooking on the stove. It burnt BADLY. The pot it was in is beyond washing. It's in the garbage bin beside my apartment building now. My apartment smells horribly of burnt tomatoes. But watching Cane was worth it. Honestly.

No comments: