Wednesday, October 3, 2007

Commentary - ratings for Rick Mercer Report and The Tudors

Well, I just saw an article which announced that Rick Mercer Report and The Tudors, two shows which premiered on CBC last evening, both got nearly one million viewers. That's fantastic news. I guess all of CBC's promotions paid off. I actually enjoyed The Tudors very much, history buff that I am (even though I realize some of the historical facts on the show are slightly skewed) and am happy that it got so many viewers, especially since it's a quasi-Canadian production (sort of). It brings more viewers to CBC, and that makes me happy because CBC, unlike CTV or Global, produces much more Canadian content (as they should) and more viewers for one show means more viewers who see the promos for other shows on the pubcaster. As for Rick Mercer Report, I really think the guy is a genius. One of my tiffs with other personalities on Canadian TV, is that they fail to truly grasp the regional identity of this country (ie. the east/west divide and diversity) but Rick Mercer appeals to the whole country, be it north, south, east or west. His is a truly national show in focus, and he is really good at diving into the grey areas of national politics and opinions. I've been a fan of him through his ventures in This Hour Has 22 Minutes, Made In Canada, Monday Night Report and now this, the Rick Mercer Report. I will admit to not having watched his show yesterday, but I had a good excuse--I had a class (Shakespeare) so wasn't home. I got home in time to watch The Tudors and Rick Mercer is sitting contentedly in my DVR. I will watch him after I get off my computer. For the article that I got the info on the ratings for the two above shows, visit Channel Canada at the following link:

http://www.channelcanada.com/Article2013.html

No comments: