Friday, October 19, 2007

I hate geology but I like Life With Derek

I just got back from taking my geology midterm. Hours of studying and I thought I had it in the can. I didn't. I failed more than miserably. I'm taking this geology course as one of the science requirements for my Arts degree (damn liberal arts requirement!) and I suck at math and science A LOT. I knew it would be hard but...dangnammit, this is the second test I failed in the class so I guess I have to drop it. I can't afford to risk another F on my transcript. I have two previous failures, both from the cursed Introduction to Statistics class, which I took twice and failed twice (those were previous attempts to satisfy the science requirement). I''m required to complete six credit hours of math or science for my 4-year degree but after five years (I switched my major a few times so I've been at uni longer) I only have three credit hours, a physical geography course I worked my ass off in my second year to get a lowly D. I'd never been more proud to get a D...looks like next term I may have to try biology.

Anyways, let's forget about my insidious geology midterm failure and get to talking about a show I came across a few weeks ago on Family Channel. Yes, you heard me right--I'm actually watching a show that's made on Family Channel. As a rule the shows that come on that channel are corny and bubblegummish but Life With Derek is different. I began watching it at two in the morning at work (I work the night shift). There isn't much on at that time and with only thirty channels I often can't find much to watch. However, I recently discovered reruns of Boy Meets World, an old fave of mine on Family Channel at that time, and after Boy Meets World, Life With Derek came on. I gotta say, I really like it.

The premise of the show is that a single mom with two daughters and a single dad with two sons and one daughter, get married. The mom and daughters move into the dad's house. The mom's oldest daughter, overacheiver Casey (played by the up and coming Ashley Leggat) is about fifteen years old and is none too thrilled about moving to a new home and having to go to a new school. She immediately begins a feud with her new stepbrother Derek (Michael Seater) who is the same age and much more popular than she is (he has a rock band and is the captain of his hockey team). I find the constant battling that ensues between both Casey and Derek extremely entertaining. I also like seeing all the mayhem that develops in Casey and
Derek's new blended family as everyone learns to get along. This show is great, and it's Canadian to boot. What's more, it comes on Family Channel a lot so it's easy to catch up on episodes.

No comments: