Wednesday, October 24, 2007

I love Life but I'm tired of memorizing lines

Sigh...for the past hour I'm been trying to memorize a monologue for my drama class and I've gotten tired of repeating the same thing over and over so for a quick break, I ventured online to my blog to talk about one of my favourite new shows--Life.

Life
is just about the most awesome new show of the season. Seriously. Damien Lewis is a fantastic actor who plays a fantastically-written character named Charlie Crews. It's one of the only shows this season that I've actually watched every episode of on the same day it aired (normally I DVR my shows and watch them periodically).

Life, for those of you who are as yet unaware, is about an L.A. cop named Charlie Crews (Damien lewis) who has just been let out of prison after 15 years locked in--it's been proven he didn't commit the triple murder he was convicted of. He's been given a wealthy multi-million-dollar settlement and instead of living the life of leisure and luxury, he's opted to rejoin the L.A.P.D. (Los Angeles Police Department), this time as a detective. The L.A.P.D. aren't so sure they want him back on the force, and Charlie's new partner, Dani Reese (Sarah Shahi) is ordered to keep a watchful eye on him so that they can gain a reason to kick him out. Dani, who was recently suspended after a drug addiction, is reluctant to rat her partner out, and with each episode, becomes more and more attached to Charlie, though she won't admit it.

The major thing that makes this show great, is the character of Charlie Crews himself. Charlie is full of quirks, attitudes and sensitivities, all caused by his fifteen years of being a former cop, stuck in a high-security prison with inmates who hated cops.

The show does have a murder-of-the-week subplot, but there are ongoing story threads as well, namely the one where Charlie digs deeper and deeper to uncover the conspiracy that put him in prison all those years ago. There are also the relationships he develops amongst the people around him, including Dani, his lawyer Constance Griffith (Brooke Langton), his financial manager and former white collar fellow convict Ted Earley (Adam Arkin), his ex-wife, who divorced him after he was convicted of murder, and his former partner, Robert Stark (Brent Sexton).

There is plenty in this show to keep viewers entertained, and if you haven't yet tuned in, do so. It's worth your time, trust me.

Now...back to memorizing my wonderful monologue.

No comments: