Monday, October 1, 2007

My take on last week's ratings

Well, last week's ratings, published today, basically outlined the state of Canadian television in a nutshell--American-dominated. Only five Canadian-produced shows made it into the top 30, and four of those were newscasts. Only one was a scripted series--the past hit Corner Gas, which, disappointedly, dipped below the million-viewer mark for the first time in it's history (that's counting first-run episodes only). That may be attributed to the fact that the show's timeslot was changed to Mondays at 9:30pm ET (8:30pm CT) where it is now up against big shows including Heroes and K-Ville (and soon, also, Samantha Who? and Intelligence). Plus it's later in the evening, so that may account for some loss in ratings too. I'm not too upset though--Corner Gas is a show that I can take or leave. I've never quite gotten into it. It'll be interesting to see, though, since most Canuck sitcoms and dramas begin airing in the next few weeks, how those shows will do. Maybe there'll be a few more Canadian shows which make the Top 30.

As I said, the shows that made the Top 30, were, with the exception of the aforementioned one sitcom and four newscasts, all American. I'm actually fairly disapointed in the ratings of the American shows as well. Out of all 25 of them, I actually only took the time to watch two of them--Prison Break and Back To You, the former which was awesome, the latter one which I actually hated and won't watch again. The cursed CSIs took four spots (#4, #11, #20 and #21) and the boring Law & Orders took four spots as well (#10, #12, #13 and #17) although I admit, I have the SVU premiere saved on my DVR for viewing as I want to check out Adam Beach in his new role. I also have the #26 show, Desperate Housewives, saved on my DVR to watch too, although I'm not so sure I care to see it. That leaves fourteen shows that made the charts that I haven't mentioned, none of which I care enough about to do so.

No comments: