Thursday, September 20, 2007

Show Review - St. Urbain's Horseman

[part 1 of a two-part miniseries, aired Sep. 19 on CBC]

You may or may not recognize the title of this one. St. Urbain's Horseman is an adaptation of a novel of the same name by acclaimed Canadian novelist, essayist and screenwriter, Mordecai Richler. The novel won the Governor General's literary award way back in 1972 (that's eleven years before I was born just so you know).

Having only seen the first part, I can't give an overall opinion on the miniseries yet, but so far so good. I've never read the book, but after watching this, maybe I will. It's set in several places, but the main settings are in Montreal and London (England). The story centres around the life of a Jewish young man named Jacob Hersh (played exceptionally well by David Julian Hirsh) as he rises to prominence as an established television director. The title character, "St. Urbain's Horseman" refers to his cousin named Joey Hersh, who in more ways then one, causes problems for Jacob over the course of his life. While everyone else sees Joey for who he is--a conniving scoundrel--Jacob continues to idolize Joey, an adoration which started when he was was a kid.

I have mixed feelings about watching miniseries'. I hate to see stories come to an end. I become attached to characters then bam, the story's over. That's the case with St. Urbain's Horseman--I'm getting attached to the characters--but as this is only a miniseries, I will have to say goodbye to them tomorrow. This is probably why I enjoy television over film. I like stories to go on and on and on.

No comments: