Saturday, September 22, 2007

My thoughts on City TV's new season's shows

Originally, earlier this year, I was pleasantly surprised at the amount of Canuck shows planned to air on City TV's stations for the 2007-2008 season but since City TV was recently purchased by Rogers Media the smallest Canadian network's schedule has changed slightly. CTV Globemedia, which temporaily held options on all City TV's shows after taking over CHUM Media, kept some of the shows, while passing on a few others to Rogers. Shows originally planned for City TV's 2007-2008 season were Across the River to Motor City, Blood Ties, Murdoch Mysteries, The Bridge, Terminal City, Less Than Kind and Grand Star.

Across the River to Motor City is, at least from what I can gather from the vague info I've found online, is the story of a father and daughter at two different times in history--the present year and 1963. The show is also set in Detroit and Windsor, two cities across the Canadian-American border from each other. It is the story of murder, mystery and conspiracy. To me it seems exceptionally complex but the critics have praised it so I definitely intend to check it out when it debutes November 19th.

Blood Ties is the real diamond in the rough for this TV season. It debuted early in August and from the handful of episodes I've seen, I've been thoroughly impressed with the writing. The show isn't flashy or expensive-looking but the characters are exceptionally intriguing and it's a show I plan on watching for a long time to come. The show's main characters are Vicki, a private investigator, Mike, her former partner from her days as a police detective and Henry Fitzroy, a 500-year-old vampire. Put the three together and you have an amazing show.

Murdoch Mysteries is a show which was scheduled to debute on City TV this fall, but since CTV Globemedia retained the rights of it when it bought out CHUM, the show is in a bit of a limbo. It's scheduled to air on CTV Globemedia's specialty channel Bravo sometime in 2008 but no word yet if it's gonna end up on the big network itself. Hopefully it will because from what I hear, it'll be good and it deserves all the exposure it gets rather than getting burnt off on a channel not very many people watch. The show, by the way, is about a detective in Victorian-era Toronto (late 1800s for those who aren't history know-it-alls) who solves a variety of mysteries of the supernatural sort. There's something refreshing about watching a mystery series set in a time before the internet and cell phones existed--it feels more mysterious if you ask me.

The Bridge is a cop drama set in Toronto. That's all I know about it. It's set to air in 2008.

Terminal City is a ten-part miniseries which originally aired on Movie Central last year. It garnered a few awards and the critics loved it. It's about a woman who becomes terminally ill with breast cancer who hosts her own reality show. I will give this show a chance as breast cancer has hit my family in the past and I am interested to see how this show deals with the real issues. It debuts September 10th.

Less Than Kind is a quirky comedy set in Winnipeg. It's main character is a teenager whose family runs a failing driving school. I'm definitely gonna watch it when it airs in 2008 as I lived in Winnipeg two years and it'll be interesting to see if I recognize anything in the background.

Grand Star is a show with scarcely any info available. From what I can gather (please feel free to reply with a correction if I'm wrong) the original title of this series was Ice Planet. It's a sci-fi show which takes place far into the future on earth where an ice age has encased the planet after the explosion of nuclear waste on the moon. Yes, you've heard me right. I may or may not let curiosity get the best of me and watch it when it airs September 22nd on Space TV. It will not be airing on City TV as was originally fortold.

No comments: