Monday, September 24, 2007

My take on last week's ratings

[based on BBM ratings for Sep. 10-16]

Canadian Idol's performance show on Monday and results show on Tuesday got the highest national ratings with both garnering over 2 million viewers each. I watched both shows so I guess that means I'm on that bandwagon. It's a really entertaining show, plus it was one of the only good shows to watch this summer. This season came to a good conclusion, though I will say it won't go down as one of my favourite seasons, as I've liked previous seasons much more.

The Emmy awards came in third place with 1.6 million viewers. I never bothered to watch this year. None of the shows I like ever get nominated so I don't see much of a point. Besides, the shows that do get nominated are all from HBO, which we don't get in Canada until long after they premiere, so when they finally do air up here, we're at least a season behind. Another thing I don't like about the Emmys, is all the focus on fashion. I couldn't care less what so-and-so is wearing.

The CTV Evening News got fourth place with 1.4 million viewers. Personally, I like CBC news better, although I admit I don't really even watch the evening news. I get most of my news from Canoe.ca, which happens to be my Internet homepage.

In fifth place is that danged C.S.I. Miami with over 1.3 million viewers. I loathe all the C.S.I.s. I'm not a fan of procedural dramas. Shows with ongoing storylines and a focus on character development are more to my liking. A couple of my friends are avid C.S.I. watchers. I've been made to watch it at their insistence. I find the writing poor, with little or no character development at all. I can't figure out why the C.S.I.s continue to garner such high ratings. I guess any joe schmoe can pick up watching it and understand what's going on. It's really not that complex. It's dumb and I wish there weren't three whole C.S.I. shows on the air. The reruns are on several channels at several times of the day. Please people--enough with the C.S.I.s!!!

In sixth place with just under 1.3 million viewers is Law & Order: SVU. I don't watch any of the Law & Orders (there's three of those as well). Again, I'm not a fan of the procedurals...

In seventh place with 1.25 million viewers is the despised Big Brother, a reality show that earns much vehemence from me. I am NOT a fan of Big Brother. I can't understand what's so appealing about watching grown adults walking around a house acting like they're in junior high, starting cliques and holding popularity contests then voting the person they don't like out of the house. Puh-Lease.

In eighth place is Jeopardy and Access Hollywood (since they combine to make an hour of programming, they're counted as one show in the ratings scheme). I actually like Jeopardy, watched it steadfastly as a kid but rarely watch it now but I won't watch Access Hollywood--should I honestly care if Paris Hilton is going to jail for four and a half minutes again?

Corner Gas takes the ninth place spot with a little over one million viewers, not bad considering it was a repeat. Sometimes I watch Corner Gas and sometimes I don't. It's one of those shows I could take or leave.

And finally in tenth spot with just under a million viewers is Criminal Minds, a show I have never watched, and do not plan to watch in the future.

No comments: