Wednesday, September 19, 2007

Show Review - Kyle XY

[pilot episode, aired tonight on Space TV]

On a lark, I decided to check out the first episode of Kyle XY that aired tonight. I'm glad I did because I might've missed out on a reasonably good show if I hadn't. There's a major likelihood I'll become a regular watcher now as it was definitely worth my time.

The show revolves around a teenage boy, possibly 17 or so years old, who wakes up naked in the middle of the forest without a belly button. Sure, the premise sounds extremely weird until you figure out he was created by some sort of alien beings to explore human life on earth. Sure, sure, I see your "huh?" reaction but trust me, if you watched it yourself, it would all make sense. The boy, who is given the name Kyle by the psychologist who takes him into her home to live with her family, knows nothing about anything. Essentially, all the world is a complete mystery to him. However, as he's gifted with an exceptionally superior brain, he learns things easily although plenty of confusion and mistakes ensue for him. Throughout this episode he struggles to understand the people he is now living with, including the mothering psychologist, the computer technician father, the awkward pre-teen son and the rather well-developed party-girl daughter. While initially the kids and dad of the family aren't happy with having him there, by the end of the episode they have agreed to keep him around rather than putting him into foster care. So, I'm tuning in next week to see where the story goes from there.

No comments: